The Italian Institute of Welding was founded in 1948 in Genoa (ITALY) and is a founder member of
the European Federation for Welding Joining and Cutting (EWF) and of the International Institute of Welding (IIW).
These organizations join national institutes of welding: 32 national institute of welding of European countries are joined in EWF and 59 Member countries over the world are joined in IIW.
IIW and EWF play a fundamental role in the dissemination of knowledge in the field of welding and related disciplines, and in the harmonization process for rules and qualification schemes available as far as welding personnel, procedures and management systems are concerned, in the world of welded fabrication.
Within both organizations IIS has always held apical appointments. IIS attends or leads various executive, research and standardization European and international committees. The active participation of the Italian Institute of Welding within these bodies results in a strong international activity, originating contacts and synergies with similar institutes of highly developed countries.